"Dyesebel" is a popular mermaid character created by renowned graphic novelist Mars Ravelo. The story has been adapted into five separate films, and a spin-off, throughout the timeline of 1953 to 1996.
Edna Luna, Vilma Santos, Alma Moreno, Alice Dixson, and Charlene Gonzales had all played the lead role in the big-screen, and all of them reached greater heights after playing the role. Ara Minaplayed a cameo role in this character in the television series Darna.
The story of Dyesebel begins when an amnesiac mermaid-turned-human named Lucia (Jean Garcia) fell in love with a human. They got married and had a beautiful baby, but instead of human baby she delivered a mermaid. The child is called "Dyesebel" (Marian Rivera). Although surprised by their daughter's strange form, Lucia and her husband Tino (Wendell Ramos) promise to love their child no matter what.
But in no time at all, their neighbors discovered the couple's secret. When the community is hit with a series of catastrophes, the town believes that the anomaly is caused by Dyesebel; an accusation that leads to Tino's death and Lucia to offer her only daughter to the sea, where she would belong.
Unknown to Lucia is that in the heart of the sea, Dyesebel's adventures and misfortunes will begin. It is within the confines of the waters that Dyesebel will lead a new life-a journey that would take her to the depths of the sea, as well as to chaos of the city. Dyesebel discovers that she can also be a human being by visiting Amafura (Rufa Mae Quinto) to get a secret necklace which makes her a human; but a price must be made, for her to sacrifice her true possession, in order to gain something special.
- Marian Rivera as Dyesebel/Isabel
- Dingdong Dantes as Fredo Legaspi
- Jean Garcia as Queen Lucia Montemayor/Doña Ava Legaspi
- Rufa Mae Quinto as Amafura
- Ricky Davao as Don Juan Legaspi
- Alfred Vargas as Erebus
- Mylene Dizon as Queen Dyangga
- Bianca King as Betty Salcedo
- Michelle Madrigalas Princess Berbola
- Lotlot de Leon as Banak
- Luis Alandy as Gildo Villarama
- Marco Alcaraz as Usaro
- Teri Onor as Akirang
- Paolo Ballesteros as Bukanding
- Aljur Abrenica as Paolo Legaspi
- Kris Bernal as Shiela Mae (Legaspi) Montemayor
- Hero Angeles as Mark
- Nanette Inventor as Doña Guada
- Robert Villar as Buboy
- Chanda Romero as Doña Felicia Montemayor